Inktober is over, onto the next

I love inktober. A whole month of drawing prompts, calling for ink based drawings. It’s definitely my type of challenge. And I do love a challenge!

I’m not sure when I first picked up a pen to doodle, or even when I first picked up a pen to properly sketch. It was years ago now, but it can’t have been that long ago, as it wasn’t something I ever did at art college.

Firsts are something I always romanticise. Always have. Maybe it’s because firsts stick with you. First day at school, first time you ride a bike, first pet, first kiss, first love. The older you get the more import these firsts have.

My first story I ever wrote was about a little boy who made friends with a robot. I’m sure I’ve talked about this before. My first ever “completed” novel was called Santos, and it’s a supernatural thriller with gargoyles that come to life and a prophecy that’s been waiting for the right person to come along a fulfill it. This first novel was completed in one month, during my second attempt at NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month). Essentially 50k words in November, you write each day, you get it done. I’ve participated four times, finished twice.

This year I’m doing something a bit different. In November 2016 an idea for a character and her story popped into my head. She’s wilful and artistic and maybe some people would see a little bit of me in her. In a way she’s an idealised version of what my life could’ve been if I’d been born somewhere else in the world. Is that a fantasy everyone has?

This novel has been in progress ever since. It’s 72k words and needs editing and rewriting and finishing. It’s the most passionate I’ve ever felt about a project I’ve worked on, and because I care about it I’m scared of it... it’s a character flaw I’m working on. 

So this month my aim is to get this novel as done as I can. I’ve started editing, laying out what needs to be scrapped, what needs a full rewriting and where scenes need finishing or completely adding. I can see it coming together in my head, and even if no one else ever loves it, I will finish it, for me. 

Having always been taught to write what I know, the main character is an artists, with an obsession with the female figure that very much makes my own fascination seem insignificant. I’ve actually found that inktober helped inspire me. My art often inspires my writing, and viceversa. So for now I’m gap filling, finding plot bunnies and writing... just in case you wonder where I’m at! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been a year... in more ways than one

If you were to put yourself into a tumble dryer

Change, it comes in all shapes an sizes