About Me

My photo

I was born in Surrey (England), brought up in Galicia (Spain) and currently reside in a small town in the North West of England... I've always enjoyed writing, scribbling away on scraps of paper and daydreaming whilst the world happens around me.

Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh!

Week 6 - Your favourite comedy movie

or what I would call "asking a parent to pick their favourite child"

also known as being stuck between a rock and a hard place


I live for comedy, there’s nothing like laughing. Comedy can cause you to burst out laughing at the most unexpected and inappropriate of times. That's probably why I like it the most, out of all film genres. Sometimes things can be so funny that they drag you out of the darkest of times. So in a time where I'm going through emotional turbulence, what could be better than talking about what makes me laugh?

Dark and tortured, awkward, quirky, 80's, with a romantic twist or full frontal no holds barred "this may offend some people". Comedy is hands down the best genre. To name some of my favourites....
Brat Pack films, with Will Ferrel, Owen and Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller ...
Kevin Smith films, Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks, Clerks II ... He's a brilliant writer and director. Funny is in his blood.
Hot shots, Ferris Bueller, Robin Hood men in tights ...
I could go on forever!

There are some comedies, however, which no matter how hard they try, just don't make me laugh. If a comedy is trying too hard, odds are it's not that funny. Most slapstick comedies fall in this category for me. (I could name a whole reel, but they don't need any more advertising than they already get)

But back to the funny... I've been waiting a few months for the release of TED in cinemas over here in the UK. Now this was a film that for me could do no wrong. Here's why - SPOILER ALERT -

1. Have Patrick Stewart (a Shakespearean actor who can definitely do funny) narrate the film.
Favourite quote from TED: "Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boy’s wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine."
Favourite film appearance - King Arthur in Robin Hood Men in Tights




2. Written and Directed by Seth MacFarlane.

Seth is always taking things to that line where people question if it's acceptable to laugh or not. This film has many moments like that thanks to this man's sense of humour and comedy timing. This is something for which I will always be grateful, Ted was 106 minutes of constant in your face comedy. I haven't laughed this hard in years.

Favourite tv series: American Dad! 




3.  Mark Wahlberg, the Boston accent and the sex appeal.

When I think of Mark Wahlberg I think action movies (and I love action movies almost as much as I love comedy). But seeing him portray a clueless, loveable guy who hangs out with his teddy bear, now that was a brilliant bit of casting.

Best moment: seeing Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis doing a hilarious dance scene (in this film it's not the guy that lifts the girl up and spins her around)





4. Mila Kunis as the leading lady

Not only is she stunning, she has possibly the best sense of humour of any of the modern day actresses out there. She voices Meg on Family guy and stars in one of my favourite comedies Forgetting Sarah Marshall. 

Best scene: Vampire musical song.


5. Every kid wishes their toy would come to life. But take that toy and let it grow up, all childhood innocence gone, and you've got yourself a great character!
6.  Flash Gordon. THE REAL FLASH GORDON. (Savior of the Universe)



7. They make fun of everyone. And I do mean literally EVERYONE is made fun of in this movie. Taking yourself too seriously is bad for your funny bone. 

8. Add a touch of creepy. Played brilliantly by Giovanni Ribisi, Donny and his scary kid are the brilliant creep factor of this movie. Creepy can be funny too.


9. Throw some emotion in there (because sometimes a simple love story just isn't enough) - Ted's stuffing gets ripped out and I held my breath hoping he wouldn't die! After all, what makes a comedy great is if the story has some substance to it (unlike slapstick).

10. The final scene. (Don't watch if easily offended)


Comedy is different for each person, my brother, for instance, didn't enjoy watching Clerks, though I can't see why not... it's a great film. I have a high tolerance for inappropriate humour, but I guess we all have lines that we consider shouldn't be crossed! As a writer I always feel that (at least to a certain degree, because we can't all always agree on everything) I should take other people's views into consideration when it comes to something being funny or not. Even Seth MacFarlane cut some scenes and cut back on the amount of swearing in Ted from the initial shooting to the version we all saw at the theatres... As an avid comedy fan I find I will go and watch what appeals to me, regardless of anyone else's views... But is self censorship just about wanting your book/script/etc to sell and do well, or is it a necessary evil? I'd love to hear your opinions! (All in good humour of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment