Wednesday Film Review

I've decided to try out something new for a while (let's see if it catches on). Usually Wednesday is my cinema night, I go with a group of friends and as I LOVE the cinema, I will watch almost anything (except horror, I just don't have the stomach for it).  I recently found on a few fellow blogger's pages a list of 30 days of movies, and it seemed like a really fun idea. I've loved film and cinema all my life, and it seems only fit to publish the entry on a movie night... so here goes!


Day 1 - Your favourite movie

This one is easy - Grosse Point Blank. In my eyes it's the BEST. MOVIE.  EVER. No contest. Sure, it's not particularly well known, most of my friends give me blank (no pun intended) looks when I so much as mention the title... But this film has been my favourite for as long as I can remember. I’m a huge John Cusack fan, and anything he writes has got to be good. I first watched it when I was quite young (released in 1997), the odd characters and plot struck me and stuck with me to this day.

Premise: Martin Blank (John Cusack) is a killer for hire, but he's losing the taste for it. He takes a job in his hometown, the same week as his ten year High School reunion, on the advice of his reluctant psychoanalyst . But Martin's not the only killer in town, as he's being trailed by an old colleague, two cops, and a hired assassin. However, the only person in town that Martin has eyes for is Debbie (Minnie Driver), his High School sweetheart who he left on prom night... The movie also boasts a brilliant soundtrack with songs from the Violent Femmes, The Clash and The Pixies.





Black comedies are something I grew up with, which I suppose says a lot about me... (Clerks and Mallrats are close seconds on my favourites list). My favourite moment in this film would be hard to choose, below are some of the scenes that really make me love this movie!

Martin Blank's (John Cusack) scene with his psychologist. Although the doctor is refusing to treat Martin, he still keeps showing up for sessions each week... My favourite line "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork". I love everything about this scene, from the "I know where you live" awkwardness and the dream about being the duracel bunny...

 

Next it has to be the returning home scene. Martin hasn't been back to his home town in ten years. He returns to find his home is now an Ultimart... Best line "I can never go home again Oatman, but I guess you can shop there"




Thanks for the pen/It wasn't me scene. This scene is a brilliant mixture of John Cusack's kickboxing skills and humour... This assassin is sent after Martin because he accidentally blew up a dog on one of his jobs. Having left his gun at the hotel, all Martin has in his possession to use as a weapon is a free pen, given to him by one of his old High School colleagues... When Debbie runs in he says the classic line "it wasn't me".



There are many other perfectly written moments in this film, which is part of what influenced me to become a writer in the first place. This year I'm trying out script writing, something I haven't had much experience with in the past (it wasn't a big focus during my Creative Writing degree either). But this year is all about artistic challenges, so I have a stack of scripts to read and a plot to outline before the Script Frenzy in April. I'm what my friend Anna describes as Nervous/Excited/Nervous/Excited...

Next week I'll write all about "The last movie I watched..." which with me, at this point, could be just about anything! Hopefully this can become a weekly thing, as I've really enjoyed writing this...  I'd love to hear from you guys all about your favourite film and the reasons it's so special to you! Or if this is also your favourite movie, what's the best scene in your eyes?

And now I'm off to dive into a stack of scripts... wish me luck!



Comments

  1. I like this concept for a series of regular blogs and, although I've not read the rest of them (obviously), I think this one will be my favourite cos I'm in it! :D

    Favourite film...love actually! not half as quirky or original as yours but it's a film to watch not matter how im feeling. If I'm happy there's scenes to laugh at, if i'm sad there's bits that make me cry, if i'm romantic there's bits that make me go awwwww. In films, as with music, I love it when a whole bunch of independent lines intertwine with each other to make a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww Na-Na maybe I should put you in all my Wednesday film posts =P You'll like the one about favourite film soundtrack =) though great script coupled with great music are amazing when found! my favourite scene in Love Actually is the church scene, where all the people playing instruments start popping up... Love Actually also provided the world with one of my ditziest moments... (let's see if you get which scene I mean) I actually said "Who's Carol Singers?" Yep, that's me, naturally dizzy! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha I really want to see the movie now. :-)

    Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you. http://sylmion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from a fellow Platform Campaigner. :)
    I dropped by to let you know I tagged you. Sorry I didn't look at your comments to see if you've already been tagged. So if you get the time: http://www.jenniferfischetto.com/2012/02/eleven-questions.html

    And my favorite movie...wow, there are several, but one is Thelma and Louise. I love their friendship. The ending gets me choked up every single time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, looks like I'm your third tagger. Here's my link:

    http://findingthewriteway.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-questionsive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tagged you to answer my ridiculous eleven questions at http://amberafterglow.blogspot.com/2012/02/writers-campaign.html Can't wait to see your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a weekly series! I look forward to reading! One of my favorite movies is Casablanca. Such a classics love story.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say that even though I'm a great lover of movies I've still not got round to watching caseblanca (it's something I intent to remedy soon) glad you enjoyed reading the post :) karina xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Action vs Adventure or I'm a die hard Princess Bride fan

Happiness